
As I reflect on the blogs and readings from this week there are many theories that focus essentially on the way people learn and process information. Theories explored such as Connectivism, Behaviorism, and Cognitivism also seek to offer some type of explanation and/or research proven basis for why one may be better than the other. In my post last week I expressed my views as to how people learn best. Again, I believe that people learn best when the educational experience is tailored to meet their need as a student. That may in turn encompass all of the theories mentioned thus far. There may situations in which a learner needs the
“black-box” behaviorism approach as described by Siemens, through drill and practice, task-oriented, programmed, or simulated activities (Siemens 2008). Then there may be moments in which the educator needs to provide instruction based on the Connectivism approach to learning in which the learner gains knowledge through a network of diverse sources. With the Cognitivism approach Saetller notes that “The cognitive concept of educational technology focuses on the learner as an active participant in the teaching-learning process” (Saetller 2004); meaning the student is highly engaged. As educators I feel that we encourage certain aspects of all of these theories or
“-isms” among our students. School districts purchase and implement the use of task-oriented, programmed instructional software. More and more teachers are providing opportunities for their students to gain knowledge from a network of diverse resources using social media tools such as
Twitter©. Students are also being encouraged to play an active role in the learning process, therefore having a since of ownership, appreciation of the knowledge they have gained.
Kapp, K. (2007, January 2). Out and About: discussion on educational schools of thought . Retrieved
from http://karlkapp.blogspot.com/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational.html
Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filters, not blinker. Retrieved from
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html
Saettler, P. (2004). The evolution of American educational technology. Greenwich, CT: Information Age
Publishing. Chapter 10: Behaviorism and Educational Technology: 1950–1980, pp. 286−317.
Siemens, G. (2008, January 27). Learning and knowing in networks: Changing roles for educators and
designers. Paper presented to ITFORUM. Retrieved from
http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/Paper105/Siemens.pdf**For Module 2 I've responded to the following blogs: Carol Lee Tiffany Wilkinson
I honestly agree with you about catering learning to students learning styles and that does encompass all the different theories at one point or another. Including technology as a resource captures our students' attention and gets motivated; therefore, possibly increasing the opportunity for them to learn more or get that much need practice.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWandra,
ReplyDeleteEducation for all students should mimic the individualized approach students with disabilities receive. Providing an individualized learning experience tailored to the student's needs in the content is the appropriate way to teach the students today. Every student should have an IEP that addresses academic goals. However, this would require more time and effort than many jaded educators want to apply. Additionally, in these interesting economic times, this effective approach may not be the most feasible approach regardless of the success it would create. One size does not fit all students.
Thank you ladies for your response. I think for the most part we can all agree that there is no one solid theory that we must use but combination of all.
ReplyDeleteWandra
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your posting and the graphic. I agree that learners seem to gain the most from lessons or activities that they have an intrinsic motivation or desire to learn. I can reflect back to classes I could not wait to go to and those that never seemed to end. Even as an adult learner, there are courses that spark an interest for me and others that I complete as they are requirements. I am sure many students, if given the option, would avoid many of the core courses and take more elective type classes. Who is to say that if the intrinsic desire is so strong that quality learning (across the content) won't occur.
Also, in response to Angela's comment about every student having an IEP, wouldn't that remove the effectiveness or reason for having an IEP?