Thursday, June 17, 2010

EDUC 7108 - Module 1 - Emerged Technology

“Emerged Technology”

A current technology that has emerged in the K12 community is the use Skype. More and more educators are learning ways in which Skype can be used and integrated into their curriculum. I’ve gone to several workshops and conferences this year in my state (NC). Many of them have hosted sessions on Skype and its use. One popular use for Skype now among K12 teachers is “Skype with an Author”. At little to no cost teachers and their students can plan a Skype session with an author in which they happen to be reading their work. Challenges that have been associated with the use of this new technology has been equipment. Because Skype is most effective when one can actually see and hear who they’re talking to via web-cam and microphone, many teachers ran into the issue of this equipment not being made available at their school. The other issue some school districts faced is that this particular website was not “approved” or was blocked and did not allow teachers the access they needed in the classroom.

Skype meets societal needs in that allows the users to build a network of knowledge and a collaborative community. This technology would be even better if more schools had a greater understanding of its uses and the positive effects it has on the learning environment. Perhaps Skype should even consider an K12 Educational version of its application. Maybe this would keep the skeptics at bay!

Sources:
http://www.skype.com

Skype an Author Websites:
http://www.skypeanauthor.com/
http://skypeanauthor.wetpaint.com/page/Patricia+Newman

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea to Skype with an author. I can imagine the thrill the youngsters will have by participating in this event. You correctly state, however, that some districts have not approved the Skype site and have blocked it. The idea to have a K-12 version seems to be just the right thing to do for this time and era. Imagine the possibilities that students could have to Skype with experts all across the globe and for free!Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely great! I was not aware of the new trend in Skype. I am a Skype fan and I use it to stay in contact with many of my classmates and instructors from Walden and other colleges. However, the Skype with an author would be a great learning resource and basically a virtual field trip that would be inexpensive, but a wonderful way to interact and help students with reading and writing. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    Cynthia H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe I have spoken with you on Skype in the last course! I, like Cynthia, was unaware of Skype until using it for this Ed.S. program. I find it very useful and helpful. There have been times when I have seen my classmates online and asked them questions using the chat feature. My district is one that has the site blocked. I would love to use Skype in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! :-)

    Skype is not only useful in the K12 environment, but can be a very beneficial tool for the online college instructor where students can be anywhere in the world. If they are in an online college, they should have internet access, which means they can get a Skype account and phone calls are free.

    Another benefit is Skype Mobile, with laptops, netbooks, or smartphones and a Skype account, you can make free phone calls over the internet. I find the following link related to Skype Mobile very helpful.

    http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/

    Ginger Harper

    ReplyDelete